Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Don't Laugh at Me

Edit Posted by The Wooden Shutter with 3 comments
I was so glad to be back at school to see my adorable fifth graders today!  They were so sweet and many ran up and hugged me to say they missed me over the winter break.  I missed them soooo much!  As I was writing my objectives on the board today, they kept coming over to me to tell me something about their break.   I really noticed each and every one of their personalities as they were telling me things and I couldn't help but think how lucky I am to be their teacher! 
 
I love when days go smoothly as they did today.  They must've been tired from New Year's Eve the other night.  Many of them stayed up to see the fireworks and of course wear the sparkly glasses a co-teacher of mine gave them!   They seemed happy to be back into the swing of things and excited to learn new information.
 
The BEST part of my day, however, was a forgotten visit from the school counselor.  (We all beg for  LOVE those days, don't we?)   She told the students they would be listening to a song about bullying and that they would have to think about the words and what they mean.  Curiosity got the best of me so I sat and listened as well.  It didn't take long for the tears to begin flowing from my eyes as the enormity of this message hit me.  In the world we live in today, this song truly opens everyone's eyes to the pain some children endure at school and at home.  I watched as my students listened intently and shared their feelings on the issue.  As soon as I got home, I downloaded the song for my five year old son, Sebastian, to listen to.  Surprisingly, he understood the message and wanted to share it with his friends at school.  The best part is that I realized there was a book to accompany the song which you can purchase below.  The YouTube video of the song is excellent so I hope you watch it and share it with your students, your own children, and your church members.  It is a message that I feel needs to be shared with as many others as possible. 
Photobucket





3 comments:

  1. Leanne, you just reminded me of how sweet that song is and when I used to hear it years ago on the radio how I cried then and how I cried just now. How that song rings so true. Thanks for reminding me to always remember that God created us all the same in His eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen/heard this song before but thank you for the reminder. Before break I had several moments where I was really worried about our class - I have lots of strong personalities this year and they are not always so kind to one another. I think this is a great way to start the new year!
    Heather
    Kickin' It With Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,

      I hope this helps your class! :) It's such a sweet song and it was just what my students needed to remember to be kind to one another. Let us know if you come across anything else that would go along with this theme.

      Delete

Please leave a comment below! Remember, this blog is for teachers so respect is expected. Thanks!