Sunday, August 28, 2011

No first day of school- WHAT?!?

Edit Posted by The Wooden Shutter with 2 comments

So, Hurricane Irene has decided she doesn't want to go back to school!  The first day of school in my county in Maryland will be cancelled due to the storm damage.  I have never in my life heard of the first day of school being cancelled!  I am so disappointed that I won't see the students tomorrow but I am glad to be able to finish some tasks before the first day. 

I will, however, use Hurricane Irene as a teaching opportunity.  Perhaps we will read about hurricanes this week and map each state that was affected by it.  We can create an analogy about how the conditions need to be just right for a hurricane to occur and compare it to how success in the classroom depends on that same type of scenario.  I hope this is all that Mother Nature has in store for this school year as I am sure she has a few snowstorms up her sleeve as well!  Is anyone else off of school tomorrow due to Irene?  Tell us about it by commenting below!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you are losing the first day. Here's to a great first Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Teresa! The first day will come and you are right...Tuesday should be fabulous! :0)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment below! Remember, this blog is for teachers so respect is expected. Thanks!